What does Africa have to offer the world, musically?
A first time visitor to Africa may be surprised at encountering more Western pop than African music on the airwaves. African stations are choke-full of rap, hip-hop, blues and other genres which essentially lack that deep African vibe. I mean, there are African artists who thrive on these artforms too. There is obviously nothing wrong with Africans taking up Western music as their own, and adding a twist to it. What I would like to see more of is Africans taking African music, and fusing it with other genres to make it richer. Not the other way round.
The omnipresence of Western music may come from the Western cultural imperialism that has happened in the past few decades. The presence of a global village means that those with greater economic resources (the West) are more capable of spreading their influence farther than those without these resources. This cannot be undone easily, and it may have its benefits nonetheless. But despite this, I don't think it is impossible for African artists to simply present their true African voice without thinking about 'global appeal' and 'economic viability'. Recent kenyan artists who have or are succeeding in presenting this 'African voice' include Kenya's own Suzanna Owiyo. Another example could be Ladysmith Black Mambazo from South Africa - whose global appeal grew as a result of their collabo with Paul Simon.
I have always had a keen ear for African sounds and how they can be infused with other more-popular genres to produce a richer and more modern sound. One of the artists that I have encountered has been the Nigerian Lagbaja. The first thing that you will notice about this artist is his insistence on African clothing, African drums, the Yoruba language and most importantly, the mask that he consistently wears. I consider masks as being deeply African. So the moment you first lay eyes on him, you automatically notice that he is an AFRICAN artist.
If you closely examine his music (videos and all), you realize that he places his Africanness first, then merges it with other sounds. There is no one African sound ... there is no formula for an African sound, but anyone can tell when an artist is being African (musically, of course) or adopting a foreign style. I am also not advocating that African music is boring and that it needs to modernize. I consider music as a language ... something that you can learn ... and once mastered .... you can adapt it in various ways ... thereby expanding the language. I am a proponent of fusion of musical genres. Nevertheless, I would like the African sound to be the dominant sound being fused as opposed to it being relegated to the background. Check this out:

6:12 AM
gorgeous gorgeous music!!! waiting for what else u'll show us... top
3:16 AM
hello there mchokozi.nice work,totally feeling it.I wat 2 do music in future but music here in kenya just like some types of expression like theatre,dance and poetry is an art looked down upon.But the music is going thru a slow transformation ,the fusion of foreign genres and the afrofeel is being embraced.There are so many talented people i have met who make beautiful african music but who shy away from doing it since music is not taken seriously...if i finally get the nerve to quit bathroom singing and do the real thing,i will remember that its people like u who give artists the motivation to go on.peace top
1:06 AM
yeah ... the next installment is coming up soon ...! top
4:35 PM
hey, just discovered your blog. i had never heard of lagbaja and when i saw the video i was completely blown away. that is african music with a twist, which i always lament is lacking, kumbe i haven't been looking in the right places. i'll be watching this space, thanks for the info top
1:52 PM
I love your analysis and am eagerly awaiting part 2!I am surely adding you to my must read list! top